Sew Make Time!

This is oftentimes hard to do and if you're like me, you sometimes reach a point where you just need to sew. I seem to get more sewing done after 11pm then at any other time....

02 March 2010

How about swapping some vintage sheets?

It's easy to get excited about sewing with repurposed bed sheets--it's just not that easy getting your hands on them!    Lots of inspiration---Betz White's Sewing Green and Amanda Soule's Homemade Home---but not lots of ways to build a stash for some of us (and I don't count buying on ebay for $10 a sheet plus postage an option).  It's a sad reality we're not all blessed with easy access to thrift stores.

It took me six months of thrift store hunting to gather the sheets and the chenille bedspread I used to craft the Beach Blanket from Homemade Home.    In fact, I doubt I'll ever find another king-sized chenille bedspread like that one---hefty, clean with only one corner with a tear which was fine as it was much larger than I needed.




I'd love to make another but alas I don't want to wait another six months to collect the ten different 12 x 30 fabrics.   I saw another similar type quilt made with vintage sheets in a recent publication using 15 x 15 squares that may not need as many unique prints but still would need more than the one or two I might find in the next month.   So, in the hopes there are others like me, I'm going to host a swap---the "I Want to Make a Patchwork Blanket from Vintage Sheets" swap---in the hopes we can all create a beach blanket for the upcoming summer.

Here's how it will work:
1.  Find one or two vintage sheets with a retro vibe (think 70's flower power for print and color inspiration).   Flower, stripes, solids are good. 
2.  Cut into 15 x 30 rectangles.  
3.  Send 10 rectangles to the swap along with a self-addressed stamped 9 x 12 envelope.   All 10 can be of the same sheet.   Postage on self-addressed envelope should be the same as the postage you the outer envelope.   Send to me
4.  Wait a few weeks.
5.  Receive 10 different rectangles of vintage sheets to fashion your blanket! 

Find one or two...get back ten.  Could be a patchwork blanket like the one above or one with 15 x 15 squares..or maybe even something else altogether!

What do you think?   Want to play?    If so, leave a comment here and I'll send you the details.   Let's plan on having your swap to me by tax day, otherwise known as 15 April!

35 Comments:

Blogger Mamawild said...

Hi Shari : )
I'm in. I'm very blessed to live near a large city where there are several thrift stores. I even have a favorite. : ) It will still be a challenge, but some $3.00 retail therapy will be good for me right now. : )

8:15 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Doodle said...

I have some bought up... I rarely find them but when I do I get all excited. I would love to have more of a variety too so this would be a good way:) AND it would motivate me to go ahead and make something!! Count me in!

9:06 PM  
Blogger Jennadesigns said...

Definitely still interested! I just went through and folded all my vintage sheets... plenty to choose from here and I'm happy to spread the love!

9:53 PM  
Blogger Nicole Spring said...

yes please still count me in!! xoxo

10:20 PM  
Anonymous Janice said...

How can I resist?? I'll post it on my blog, also.

6:15 PM  
Blogger Jodie said...

I'd like to join! Please send me details [jodiebissig (at) yahoo (dot) com].

12:54 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Count me in! I've been wanting to do one of these for a long time...thanks for hosting!

8:23 AM  
Blogger mytinyrobotheart said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:51 AM  
Blogger mytinyrobotheart said...

please include me! i love vintage sheets!
mytinyrobotheart (at) yahoo (dot) com
thanks!
(i forgot to leave my contact info)

11:57 AM  
Anonymous Janice said...

oh yeah, I think you have my email, but it's janicezeller (at) mac (dot) com!

12:59 PM  
Blogger Nicole Spring said...

Oh yes! My email too: farmergopi@yahoo.com

Thanks!

www.frontierdreams.blogspot.com

1:33 PM  
Blogger Kelly O. said...

I'm very interested!

1:12 PM  
Blogger Tiff said...

I would love to participate! tiffanykimble(at)gmail(dot)com

1:15 PM  
Blogger wendalia said...

I would love to play, have numerous sheets i've been collecting for rag rugs but think a quilt of a variety would be great.

3:54 PM  
Blogger Miya said...

I would love to swap vintage sheets!

4:19 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

I would love to participate. I always see vintage sheets at my local thrifting hot spot but never really know what to do with them! This soulds like a lot of fun :)

6:52 PM  
Blogger lori said...

I would love to participate if you are still accepting swappers! It is very hard to find vintage prints here so I would love to swap for a variety!
lm91.jolley(at)gmail(dot)com

12:43 AM  
Blogger msalleycat said...

I am interested, too (thanks, Janice), but what is the time frame you need to have sheets put in the mail? I have a crazy work week, and really won't know if i have enough material at home and can't hit any thrifts until Sat. afternoon at the earliest. Please let me know: alison (dot) schmidt (at) gmail (dot) com .

1:37 AM  
Anonymous Clara said...

Is this an international swap?
I have a few vintage sheets and would love to join in.

7:22 AM  
Blogger roseylittlethings said...

How can I not participate!!

1:05 AM  
Blogger Mel said...

Is it too late?? I bought three different sheets a while ago with the same thought!

3:31 AM  
Blogger Miya said...

myfamilyeatswiththeirhands [AT} gmail DoT com

Thanks!

8:30 AM  
Blogger CBear said...

Hi Shari - I'd love to play along - but I'd have to go on the hunt for vintage sheets... I don't have any yet...

Hmmm... I think the kids and I might go hunting today! I have a giant goodwill and a nice little thrift store here in town...

9:02 AM  
Anonymous Clara said...

Hi Shari,
My e-mail is tcdawe@hotkey.net.au
Thank you for the lovely comment, Savannah was so pleased someone else has seen her crafty work.
I'm so happy to be included in this swap, Thank you !
Clara

7:00 AM  
Blogger C. Michele said...

Sign me up!

cassandra (dot) pendergraff (at) gmail (dot) com

4:12 PM  
Blogger 惠蘋 said...

做愛色情影片免費色情論壇色情網小說色情秀一夜聊天室上床片免費看上床免費看上床美女影片免費試看上床影片免費看上班族天室上班族室上班族聊天(f1)上班族聊天至上班族聊天室(f1)口交電影口焦大乃妹做愛影片女生裸睡圖片一葉聊天tw18禁wii後宮電影院xevideoxex888xvdeosxveidosxvideo 免費影片xvideo 松島xvideo 線上xvideo松島楓xvides金瓶梅成人漫畫金瓶梅情色小說文學漫畫貼圖成人電影

11:18 PM  
Blogger Purple Quilter Queen said...

Are you still accepting swappers for this swap? We've got alot of good thrift stores in the DFW, TX area. I've got a couple I'd like to exchange with. Please let me know.
purpleheartorijennals(at)yahoo (dot) com
Thanks! Jenn

4:30 PM  
Blogger 明偉誠秋 said...

辛苦了!祝你愈來愈好!........................................

1:08 AM  
Blogger qltmom9 said...

If you are still accepting sign-ups, send me your address and I will get them in the mail via priority mail Tues.

12:20 AM  
Blogger Faith said...

Are you still doing this swap? If not, maybe I'll host one on my blog.

faithad "at" gmail "dot" com

Thanks!

1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Send me your address and I will be in for sure. My email is rthor70533@aol.com

Been swapping on swap-bot but there the measurements are something like 18 x 22 a regular fat quarter size.

1:30 PM  
Blogger Katie B. said...

Hey, Shari. You posted on my blog yesterday about the fabric warehouse sale I went to. The company is called Hollywood Baby, and they're in Birmingham, Alabama. They have a Web site, but it looks like you could contact them through their facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hollywood-Baby-Childrens-Clothing/43609728320?v=wall

They say they're going to have another sale on a weekend soon.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Fairlightday said...

Hi Shari, This is Fairlight from the blog "Under the Polkadot Tree." You had signed up for my vintage sheet swap and I'm working on sending out the info email with my address and such, but I can not find an email addy for you! Could you shoot me an email at Fairlightday (at) hotmail (dot) com so I can send your email on to you? Thanks!

8:35 AM  
Blogger roseylittlethings said...

thanks for hosting! got the replacement piece over the weekend! thanks so much!!

3:14 PM  
Blogger Nicole Austin said...

hi,
i would love to join in! this sounds like fun! i found you through the VS blog. i'm loving all the giveaways and inspiration over there! i hope i'm not too late!

thanks,
nicole

3:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home